An outline of a plan which NZU intends to pursue on the path of academic accreditation follows.
The foundation for this report is a first-phase (2017-2020) plan involving the gradual implementation of steps covering:
1. raising awareness seminars and workshops for academic members and staff of NZU in the issues involved.
2. initiating an OBE approach in a number of undergraduate programs at NZU, with the subsequent curriculum modifications and assessments, culminating in SARs suitable for external reviews.
3. enhancing institutional effectiveness activities and establishing institutional arrangements to support the process.
Based on the progress made during the first phase, a second phase plan will be considered for processes towards academic accreditation at program and/or institution level(s) in the year(s) that follow.
A road map for the aforementioned first phase is proposed.
CAQA: Centre of Assessment and Quality Assurance
CLO: Course Learning Outcome
CP: Course Plan
CR: Course Report
HEI: Higher Education Institution
HoD: Head of Department
IE: Institutional Effectiveness
KPI: Key Performance Indicator
MOHE: Kurdistan Region Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research
NZU: Nawroz University / Duhok
OBE: Outcome Based Education
PEO: Program Educational Objective (ABET)
PLO: Program Learning Outcome
QA: Quality Assurance
SAR: Self-Assessment Report
SWOT: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats
The plan draws upon a number of relevant sources, which include:
a. accreditation standards
b. recent reports, e.g.
- “Rehabilitation of the Iraqi Higher Education System”, Project Document, UNESCO, 2013.
c. current curricula and study plans of a number of accredited programs and institutions.
d. international guidelines on curricula.
2. Overall aims of the first phase
3. First-Phase Workplan 2017-2020 (calendar years)
(These plans are subject to change and/or modification in light of progress made.)
Table (a) Workplan/Timeline 2017/2018 (Q: Quarter)
Table (b) Workplan/Timeline 2019/2020
* Required Institutional Documents: 1. IE/QA Manual 2. Faculty Handbook 3. Staff Handbook 4. Student Handbook 5. Academic Catalog 6. Policies & Procedures Manual
4. Road Map (main activities)
|2017||- Review current programs/Review accreditation requirements
- Draft/initiate OBE plan, Review curricula PLAN
|2018||- SWOT / strategic plan
- Implement draft OBE plan DO
- Prepare SARs for Internal reviews
|2019||- Evaluate program SARs Internally CHECK
- Perform improvements and revise plans ACT
|2020||- Prepare program SARs for External reviews DO|
|2021||- Perform external reviews of SARs ACT
- Evaluate reviews/Revise/improvements CHECK ACT
- Consider plans for accreditation PLAN DO CHECK ACT
5. Second phase:
Table (c) Tentative Workplan/Timeline 2021/2022