Mission of the department
The Translation Department endeavors to offer internationally recognized undergraduate
programs in English Language and Translation. The department strives to provide students with
efficient translation and interpretation techniques and methodologies from and into Kurdish and
English in the specialized fields of translation, along with the appropriate theoretical background
to enhance the translator’s skills and professional performance. The department also aims at
developing student's language (both native and foreign) , critical thinking, critical analysis, and
academic research skills.
Vision of the department
The department is committed to becoming one of the outstanding departments in the region by
offering excellent translation and interpretation programs that produce competent graduates to
be translators and interpreters in different fields of translation who will contribute to the
intellectual development of the society, the enhancement of intercultural communication, and
meeting the needs of the labor market in aspects pertaining to foreign language issues mainly
translation and interpretation .
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will be to :
- Possess excellent language skills allowing them to read, analyze and understand the source text
in Kurdish and English.
- Convey source texts in the target language using appropriate style and accurate terminology.
- Understand basic concepts in translation theories.
- Translate texts from different domains, and with various degrees of difficulties.
- Acquire translation and interpretation techniques enabling them to deal with different types of
- Acquire a general knowledge of current events.
- Demonstrate fluency with Kurdish –English and English –Kurdish interpretation.
The department seeks to graduating professional translators and interpreters who can
1. Meet the needs of the market in all domains of general and specialized translation.
2. – Bridge the gap between their native cultures and foreign cultures.
3- Master the basic academic skills needed in doing communicative, semantic, journalistic,
literary, scientific, at sight, consecutive, etc. translation and interpretation.
4- Get acquainted with different concepts relation to the levels of linguistic analysis and, to some
extent, modern English language.
5- Develop spoken and written language skills as well as translation and interpretation skills and
6- Conduct research that meets academic standards.
7- Get access to authentic and academically reliable source of information in their disciplines.
8. Be qualified at an internationally accepted standard, providing skilled human resources in the
fields relevant to national development.
9. Gain opportunities for self-employment in such areas as interpreting, translation, copy writing,
advertising, journalism and publishing.